Saturday, February 4, 2012

How to Cast-On

To start any knitting project you will need to cast-on a required number of stitches.  Some projects will tell you to do a specific cast-on but most times all you need to do is a basic cast-on.  There are two different styles of knitting English-Style and Continental-Style.  English-Style is one that most right handers find comfortable.  This is the style that I am going to explain because try as much as I would like I'm just not comfortable with Continental-Style.  I taught myself how to cast-on by using Debbie Stoller's Stitch N" Bitch book as well as a couple of sites I found online.  At first it seemed like such a frustrating task because it felt so awkward and I was always afraid of casting on my stitches either too loose or too tight.  I was also afraid that I would lose stitches if I wasn't careful.  I don't know how many times I would cast-on stitches and then when I went to knit the next row I would find that I had cast the stitches on too tightly!  But with practice I learned how to cast on where the stitches weren't either too tight or too loose.  It takes time, practice and patience to get it right.  Even if you get frustrated don't give up because once you get it you will feel on top of the world!
Casting on is not something that I am really good at describing how to do so I've attached a link to a really great You Tube video that I found.
Hope it helps!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Iv03nRS8xU

No comments:

Post a Comment